An initial planning walk along the trail is essential. This will give an opportunity to:
- make a risk assessment (especially road safety, an issue on almost any trail)
- identify nearest toilets
- work out how long the walk is likely to take
- see if there are any obstacles to the full participation of children and young people with disabilities which need to be dealt with so that they can take part
- see if there are any cost implications e.g. of making a donation to a place of worship visited as part of the trail.
In-school planning will need to include:
- following routine school procedures for the organisation of visits
- sending and checking the return of parental consent letters
- agreeing with the headteacher whether it would be appropriate to seek press or media cover for the activity see: The RE teacher's media toolkit.